Monday, October 7, 2013

Betrayal

Hamlet is a play written by  William Shakespeare that include of three main characters named Claudius, Hamlet, and Gertrude. In the beginning of the play there are three guards who say they saw a ghost while guarding the castle late at night that looks like the former King of Danish, Hamlets' real father.

In the beginning of Act 1 Scene 2 Claudius, Hamlets' uncle, is talking to the court about the grief his family is having "To bear our hearts in grief, and our whole kingdom/ With mirth in funeral and with dirge in marriage,) (1.2 3,12)of losing his brother but to see it as a good thing because marrying Gertrude, his former sister-in-law, but Hamlet wasn't very happy about the marriage. The questions that are going through his mind is why would they betray my father like this? My mom and dad loved each other so much? "But two months dead")?(1.2 142). His mom probably didn't ask for his approval or his feeling about the whole situation. I mean you just lost your father and two months later your mom remarries to his brother? I would be betrayed or have hatred towards them when he said "together with all forms, moods, [shapes] of grief/ That can {denote} me truly.) (1.2 85-86) Hamlet is saying that he is having some sort of signs of grief that indicates his real feelings. Hamlet says "She married . O, most wicked speed, to post/ With such dexterity to incestuous sheets!/ But break, my heart, for I must hold my tongue.)" (1.2 1621-164) Which means that Hamlet calls the marriage a violation of laws against intercourse between close kin.

I think Hamlets' thoughts about his mom and uncle tells us about him is that he is a prince who follows the rules and laws and doesn't break them, but with so much anger he has, that might change.






1 comment:

  1. Adrianna,
    I enjoyed reading what you wrote! I enjoyed the quotes that you used and that you chose to talk about in scene two! It is great that you wrote in the end that Hamlet has a lot of anger.

    ReplyDelete