Monday, October 14, 2013

Ophelia's Portrayal in Hamlet Act 1

Here are two youtube videos of this scene performed in two difference ways and actors. I am going to talk about each and how Ophelia was portrayed in each scene and if I agree with the actresses approach.



In this youtube video I think Ophelia is portrayed as Shakespeare portrays her. Ophelia was portrayed as innocent but smart. When I was watching this video, what was going through my mind  was this is what i imagined the scene would be acted out. The actress acted how I thought she was going to be portrayed. She wanted to act like she will listen to her father and his advice but secretly not agree or listen. I agree with the actresses approach because that I how I would act around my father truthfully.


In this Youtube video I don't think this is the way to portray the scene. Even though it was enjoyable to watch, it was not how i pictured the scene. I envisioned Ophelia and her brother talking in a rivate setting not in the kitchen or where they work. I was also confused on who the guy on the balcony from above was and why was he interested on what they were saying? Was it Hamlet? Ophelia is portrayed really innocent and sweet in this video, and doesn't really get a one on one talk with her father, but she probably is thinking about how she will get out of it and being seen as the sweet little Ophelia who follows the rules. I also agree with how she acts, but not what I imagined how it was going to be after I read the scene, unlike the first one.




2 comments:

  1. I really liked what you told me about the second video. Upon watching it the first time, I never actually stopped to analyze it as well as you did. I think you did an excellent job at persuading me that the second video is rather inaccurate. You make a great argument about how the the way Ophelia acts outside is not really as true to text as the other clip. I, too, was pretty confused as to who the guy on the balcony was. Big ups on the picture too; I used the same one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrianna, I agree with the main points from both your interpretations. When I watched the first video, I also thought it resembled more to how Shakespeare portrays her. She agrees with her father and pretends like she's listening, but really, she just wants him to finish so she can get on with it. I would have liked to see a little bit about how you thought she interacted with Laertes in the first video because I thought it was very similar to how Shakespeare portrayed her to me, as sassy. I really liked your interpretation about how she was very innocent and sweet in the second video. That's exactly what i thought upon seeing it. Lastly, I thoroughly enjoyed your picture because I thought it really accompanied your thoughts well because she looks kind of confused upon what she should think even though she doesn't want to listen to her father and brother.

    ReplyDelete