Thursday, September 26, 2013

Revise intro and outline

This is my revised introduction and an outline for the rest of my essay. I will be talking about the poem "Digging" by Seamus Heaney as I was before but now i will relate the poem through characterization.

In our life we face obstacles with friends and especially our family members everyday. In the poem "Digging" by Seamus Heaney, the author uses characterization to exemplify the struggle that he faces with his family and following his passion. Seamus shows the characters' pride of not following the family traditions and business, his hardworking family, including himself, and having guilt but knowing he needs to follow his dream. Heaney represents the battle of guilt of not wanting to follow the footsteps of the family business to become a writer.

1. Throughout the poem Seamus characterizes the son's pride, the main character, to not follow the family business he sometimes desires.

     "Bends low, comes up twenty years away"
     "Between my finger and my thumb The squat pen rests: as snug as a gun."
     "but I've no spade to follow men like them."

2. Seamus also characterizes a hardworking and devoted grandfather, father, and son that are potato farmers which is a tough line of work.

"By God, the old man could handle a spade, Just like his old man."
     "stooping in rhythm through potato drills."
     "he rooted put tall tops, buried the bright edge deep To scatter new potatoes that we picked"
       "my father digging,


3. Throughout the poem Seamus characterizes a son who doesn't have the desire to be potato farmer anymore but has tremendous passion to be a writer.

     "Through living roots awaken in my head."
      "But I've no spade to follow men like them."
       "Loving their cool hardness in our hands"
      "the squat pen rests. I'll dig with it."





No comments:

Post a Comment